IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MenuBuilder and Android, do they work together?
gastan
post Jul 23 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,788

Got an email complaining that the toolbar on my site does not work at all. Turns out the person was visiting my site via an android tablet. I got hold of one and checked and sure enough nothing worked. Every click on a toolbar item resulted in the following:

Page Not Found (followed by the usual "The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed" ... blah, blah, blah)

and also -- under an android icon:
Web page not available
The web page at http://dsnetgen.com/?a_id=101686&domai...e=refere_detect might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new address.
Here are some suggestions:
Check to make sure your device has a signal and data connection
Reload this web page later
View a cached copy of the web page from Google

I went immediately to my desktop to check and everything worked fine on it. The toolbar has worked fine on ANY windows or mac desktop or laptop that I have used and with any browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, Netscape, Firefox, Safari -- I've tested them all). I do use frames on my website. The toolbar is in the top frame and all menus open in the bottom main frame. I use the full version of MenuBuilder - Standard Edition -- version 4.20.023 Engine: 2.06.023

Do DHTML MenuBuilder and android work together? Do you have to do something different/special to get them to work together? Android devices are becoming more and more popular and if MenuBuilder won't work on an android device it will be a definite problem.

Thanks
Gary
My Website

This post has been edited by gastan: Jul 25 2011, 04:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fabien
post Jul 25 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,270

Hi Gary,

I have tested my own site on an Asus Transformr tablet running Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) and it works perfectly. Perhaps you can wiew it on your device and see if it works. If not, the problem is probably with your device.

Which version of Andrid are you using?

Cheers,
Fabien

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 25 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply, Fabien.

I visited my site using the white Pandigital Novel which is running Android 2.0. I visited your site with the same device and the toolbar and menus worked perfectly. This makes me believe I did something wrong when using MenuBuilder. I looked thru all the project settings and preferences in MenuBuilder and couldn't find anything that relates directly to different browsers or any browser specific settings. Did I miss something?

I posted a message on an android forum and asked people to test my site using devices with different versions of android. Here is a copy/paste of one of the answers I got. (I chose it because the person tested with a variety of android devices and a desktop running windows) As you can see, I am not the only one having problems with the toolbar and the android version seems to not be a factor. Which browser are you using on the Transformer? Have you gone into the Transformer settings and changed anything?

Would sending the project .dmb file help?

Gary
My Website

Here is the answer I got to my question on the android forum:

"Using stock android browser on the WPDN with SH20 FW (and some KG enhancements) (Android 2.0 faked to Android 2.1) I got your navigation bar to show the lists, but I keep getting page not found errors when I try to navigate to them.

Using stock android browser on the Coby 7022 (Android 2.3) Same thing. I get the navigation bar links, but page not found when trying to access them.

Using stock android browser with the Asus Transformer (Android 3.1) Same thing. The drop downs show up but give me page not found errors.

The contact link on the navigation bar works in all my android browsers to bring up a blank email.
The yellow radial buttons for contact me and guestbook work on all my android browsers.

Everything Works fine on the PC."

This post has been edited by gastan: Jul 25 2011, 03:10 PM

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 26 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #4

Just got back from the electronics store (Best Buy) and played with every android tablet they had on display -- Acer, Motorola, Toshiba, Asus, Samsung -- and they all run Honeycomb. Also tried the HP TouchPad that runs the HP WebOS system. My toolbar did not work on ANY of them (yeah, they all had internet connections). One of them (can't remember which one - I was switching between them all too fast) would not display the toolbar at all.

To make matters more interesting I just discoverd that the toolbar won't work in Chrome or Safari either, but works like gangbusters in IE7 or IE8 or Firefox4 or Opera11.5 (except that the toolbar is displaced up and to the left of where it is in IE or Firefox). I could swear that I tested it earlier on all those browsers and it worked.

I got this response from my post on the android forum. I am not a coder, either, so don't know if it pertains or not. Could it be part of the issue? The script mentioned does not show up in my index.html file but does have one instance each in my frame_top.html and frame_main.html files.

"Hi, just wanted to add a comment. I'm not a Java coder so I'm not sure if I'm right but I see something that doesn't look right. In the code I see the line "if(navVer.substr(0,3) >= 4)". If true, it goes on to write the commands to call up the pages. I don't see anything for if that statement is false. I don't know if Google Chrome or the mobile browsers meet this criteria and could be why it doesn't work with them."

My Website

This post has been edited by gastan: Jul 26 2011, 05:10 AM

+Quote Post
Fabien
post Jul 26 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,270

Hi Gary,

I am juste an DMB user like you and cannot help more solving your problem.

Have you written to Xavier using the email support? Xavier answers quickly and has saved my life a lot of times!

Cheers,
Fabien

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 26 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #6

Thanks Fabien. The e-mail support was going to be my next step in a day or two. I wanted to give time here to see if an answer appeared. It seems the forum does not get much attention from the developers so I will send an e-mail for support in the morning. (it's 11pm where I am).

This post has been edited by gastan: Jul 26 2011, 05:15 AM

+Quote Post
JimS
post Jul 26 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,303

When this topic first came up I sent an email to Xavier to advise him that this was a topic that would need his attention, but I have not had a reply.
Please still send your email request to Xavier.
Sorry I cannot be more help
best wishes

--------------------
Jim

+Quote Post
xfx
post Jul 26 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #8

Master

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,332

Hello Gary,

Unfortunately I do not have an Android tablet but I think I can use the SDK to emulate one.
I'll do my best to try to figure out why are your menus failing under Android and I'll post back my findings.

--------------------
Xavier Flix

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 26 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Jim S and Xavier -- thanks for the posts.

Xavier -- don't forget that the toolbar isn't working in Safari or Chrome, either. Maybe if it got fixed in those browsers it would fix it for Android, too.

Worst case is that I would scrap the toolbar, re-read the instructions, watch all the tutorials again, and start over from the beginning and hope that I don't somehow mess up what I must have messed up the first time.

Am I right to think that the "Remove Loader Code" dialog box will delete all of the MenuBuilder code from all of the files so that I could start fresh?

I am attaching the .dmb file and the index and frames html files in case those help troubleshoot the issue.

Many, many thanks for looking into this.

Gary
Attached File(s)
Attached File  frame_main.html ( 10.86K ) Number of downloads: 165
Attached File  frame_top.html ( 4.11K ) Number of downloads: 122
Attached File  index.html ( 1020bytes ) Number of downloads: 112
Attached File  lchs_vale_menu.dmb ( 21.88K ) Number of downloads: 104

+Quote Post
xfx
post Jul 26 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Master

QUOTE (gastan @ Jul 26 2011, 02:34 PM) *
Jim S and Xavier -- thanks for the posts.

Xavier -- don't forget that the toolbar isn't working in Safari or Chrome, either. Maybe if it got fixed in those browsers it would fix it for Android, too.

Ok... that was the piece of information that I needed.
This is, unfortunately, a VERY common issue and it occurs when portions of the menus' loader code appear twice (or more) in the same HTML document.
If you check the source code of your "frame_top.html" document you will notice that the loader code appears twice:
  • Once from line 23 to line 40
  • And then again from line 42 to line 52
So, to correct this issue all you'll need to do is to delete lines 42 to 52

Please let me know when you are done so that I can re-test the menus.

--------------------
Xavier Flix

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 27 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #11

Xavier -- deleted those lines in that file and everything is working fine in IE8, Firefox 4, Opera 11.5, Chrome 11, and Safari 5.

The toolbar and menus still do not work on my android 2.0 device. ???? I must have done something wrong when I built the toolbar. I have been on other websites with dropdown menus using this same android device and the toolbars worked.

I deleted those lines using Dreamweaver and uploaded the changed file to the server. That means my .dmb file has not been changed. Will this cause a problem in the future when I work on the toolbar within DMB (add a menu or modify a menu, etc.)?

Thanks for helping and for the fast turnaround.

Gary

+Quote Post
gastan
post Jul 27 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #12

After doing some googling I started to suspect that the culprit may be the stock android browser. I downloaded and installed several android browsers and the results are:
    Dolphin HD browser -- toolbar works fine
    Opera Mini browser -- the entire site only partially loads. Keep getting "Problem reading from server" message.
    Opera Mobile browser -- toolbar works fine -- mostly. There is some erratic behavior but it's useable
    Skyfire bowser -- toolbar works fine

There is something really funny going on with android. My toolbar didn't work no matter which android version stock browser I used when I tested it on all those devices -- but other peoples toolbar work when I use the stock broswer on their site (I'm thinking of Fabien's site). Third party android browsers seem to work except that I think it's funny that one version of Opera works and the other version doesn't.

At any rate I guess I'll consider this problem solved since the toolbar works in third party browsers. If I get any more complaints I'll just tell them not to use the stock browser and try one of the third party ones.

Thanks, everyone, for the help and responses.

Gary

This post has been edited by gastan: Jul 27 2011, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
xfx
post Jul 28 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #13

Master

Thank you for the report -- as soon as I have access to an Android device I'll run some tests.
I wasn't able to do anything with the emulator due to its unbearable speed... so I'll have to wait until I can use the real thing.

--------------------
Xavier Flix

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 04:57 PM